Dee Polo’s inaugural Chirk Tournament was held on Saturday, 11 May 2013, proudly sponsored by Nomad Canoes. Attendees (& results): Dee A (unfairly handicapped out of the prizes), Dee B (winners, with a little help from Trentham), Dee Youth, Mold … Continue reading →
UPDATE: Have a look at this overview of canoe polo & let me know what you think.
If you missed the first Grade 3/4 referees’ training course, or just missed the cut, we are organising another event for the spring. If I don’t have your name – let me know.
This is for your Grade 3/4 referee’s qualification. This will be a 1 day Theory-only event, unless people want to help organise a mini-tournament on the canal? Otherwise, people who pass will join the ~10 referees from the first course who still need Practical assessment at a suitable tournament – eg NW Regional for G4, or National Div 4 for G3.
Before then I will be running some short referee coaching sessions, so let me know if you’d like to attend these as well. Likely dates are all Saturday mornings at Queens Head:
2 Feb – immediately before both the national Div 3 & regional Div4 evenings
If you can only make Monday nights in Shrewsbury then I could setup a 7pm session before the evening’s polo.
A belated welcome to 2013! Here’s the canoe polo info for the new year – with weekly sessions; youth & ladies ; current leagues; grant applications; and a new club forming.
Any questions or for more information just mailto:polo[at]shrewsburycanoeclub.org
* Shrewsbury’s pool sessions continue in the Priory pool of the Quarry Leisure Centre, SY1 1RU, Mondays 8-9pm through to Easter 2013.
* The recently formed Dee Valley Canoe Polo are starting sessions at Chirk Leisure Centre, LL14 5NF, also on Monday nights at 8pm but running to 10pm – so there’s more competition in Shropshire, talking of which…
* A combined Shrewsbury/Shropshire (Salop?) Ladies team has been invited to play some friendlies at the Div 2 Ladies’ up-coming tournaments in Stratford-upon-Avon & Derby.
* The A-team’s National Div3 SWC & B-team’s Regional NW Div4 leagues are now halfway though, with two tournaments remaining for each.
* The referee training event got its first practical assessments – well done Chris & Phil. More assessements & another training event are being organised – watch this space.
* Following SPS’s successful application for new boats, SCC is applying to Sport England’s Small Grants to get 4 youth & 4 high volume polo kayaks, and floating goals. This will extend the range of people who can compete, allows all year outside training.
This is for intermediate polo players who have played regularly and who want to spend several Saturday nights in Stoke!
17/11/2012 @ Fenton Manor – W:2 D:1 L:1 = Not bad for a first outing
01/12/2012 @ Fenton Manor – W:1 D:0 L:2 = Full strength opposition but won 2 friendlies
02/02/2013 @ Fenton Manor – W:1 D:0 L:1 = Also won 1 & lost 1 friendly
16/03/2013 @ Fenton Manor – tba
06/10/2012 @ Cheltenham – W:1 D:2 L:1 = 3rd in league, though not for long!
12/01/2013 @ Cheltenham – W:0 D:1 L:3 = not quite our finest hour…
02/02/2013 @ Stratford – W:2 D:0 L:1 = only three games due to 9 teams in league
09/03/2013 @ Cheltenham – W:1 D:2 L:2 = 6th in league, maintaining last year’s position
UPDATE – Eighteen people attended & fourteen passed at Grade 3, with one Grade 4. Well done & special thanks to Sam Barry & Will Borrett for organising & presenting it. You can confirm your ref status here & good luck with your practical assessments.
Look here if you’d like to attend the next theory course or need help with assessment.
Shrewsbury Canoe Club & Shropshire Paddlesport hosted a Grade 3/4 referee theory course on Sunday 6th January 2013.
Cost is £20 which includes a copy of the current rule book. You can also buy a whistle set, including plastic cards and a paddle gauge, for £5.
The course runs from 09:30 ~ 17:00 at Shropshire Paddlesport’s club house, Queens Head, SY11 4EB. This is on the Montgomery Canal opposite the pub, off the A5 between Shrewsbury & Oswestry, Shropshire). Please try to use the public car park, over the road from the Queens Head pub. Tea/coffee/biscuits will be available & the pub does soup & a roll for around a fiver.
If you are not already registered & are interested in getting your Grade 4 or Grade 3 refereeing theory, please contact polo[at]shrewsburycanoeclub.org